The Thirteenth Tale - Diane Setterfield I don't say this about too many books, but I hated this book. Detested it with a passion. I don't think there are enough adjectives to describe what an over-hyped book this was. Honestly, I don't know how it got so many glowing reviews.

This book seemed right up my alley-I love Gothic romances, and it lured me in with tales of half truths, a mystery to be solved and a ghost. (I love a good ghost story!)

The plot intertwines the stories of Vida Winter-one of Englands greatest authors who is close to dying. She wants the truth of her life to be told instead of the fantastic stories she's told to members of the press. Enter Margaret Lea. Margaret is the daughter of a bookseller, and has her own mystery to solve. She has written a few biographies, but nothing great and is shocked to be chosen to tell Vidas story. Vidas story is an unbelievable one...it's a tale of incest, murder, abuse and mysterious births.

The problem I had with this book is that it took forever to get to the main plot of the story..by the time it did I had stopped caring about any of the characters or about finding out what the truth was.

People have compared this book to Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights, but it didn't come close to those books...as one reviewer put it: "this book is closer to Flowers In the Attic then Wurthering Heights."

Most of the people who reviewed this book read it one night. I only finished it because I was hosting it for an online bookclub.