Sex and the Single Earl - Vanessa Kelly I'll start with what I did like about this novel. I liked that Sophie was strong, and held her own against Simon, and let him know when she thought he was out of line. I also like that she did her own thing, and didn't really care about what others said about her. She stayed true to herself.

My major problem with the book was the storyline. When a family heirloom bracelet is stolen, the heroine in the story, Sophie does try to solve this matter by going after the thief who stole it, and discovers that it was actually a little boy. She's flummoxed by this, and later on can't believe the poverty that he and his sister live in. That's the second problem I had with this book. When I read historical romances, I want to escape. I don't want to think or be reminded of social justice causes while reading them.I know that's very shallow of me, but there it is. I have a feeling that this might be a new trend in historicals, because it's the second one I've read lately where the story centered around the hardships of the time. Another problem I had with this book was the dialogue. I'm all for the characters speaking as they should during the time period the book takes place, but it just was well, jarring in places and interrupted the reading places.

Like the title states, there is sex in this book, but I felt like it didn't really have to be there. I'm all for a good smokin hot love scene, but I just didn't feel the passion between Lord Trask and Sophie to make it necessary to the storyline. It just kind of came out of left field. I feel so bad that I didn't like this book more. I really wanted to, but I need more of a juicier plot then a stolen bracelet and an upset mistress. (Did I forget to mention that part? There is a mistress, and she tries to make a muck out of things and fails horribly.) If you are in the mood for something light (and I do mean light) and are a fan of historical romances, then you'll probably like this book.